The page and game versions are mismatched. If force refreshing the page (shift-F5) doesn't help, you may need to clear your browser cache.
Super ultra work-in-progress! -Spoons
- The framework for basic abilities is now in place.
- The only "working" ability at the moment in Scary Noise, which currently just makes a bunch of smiley face particles and nothing more.
- Basic UI in place, including power bars, ability buttons and tooltip zone. These are more or less in their final state.
- Left hand side will be used for selection information and minimap.
- The info at the bottom left is residual debug text and will be removed soon.
- Added a date-correct simulation of the positions of the sun and moon in the sky.
- This means there is now a day/night cycle in the game! The fluffies are not yet aware of the light (or lack thereof) however.
- Reworked the water shader in the stream - not sure if it's really better, but it respects the lighting correctly unlike the old one.
- Implemented pathfinding routines for "go to point x" type movement.
- This lays the foundation for actions which require fluffies to travel to specific areas ("find food", "go outside", "return to safe place" etc.)
- Pathfinding is now used when fluffies wander to help them better avoid obstacles and getting stuck.
- However they still cannot avoid each other.
- Implemented the concept of the fluffy brain; they have priorities and act accordingly.
- Fluffies now wander around and "sit", though they are still ignorant to their surroundings.
- Added blob shadows.
- Added the stream, including flowing water shader. The game now requires shader model 3.0 to run properly (DirectX9.0c min)
- Added version check to help alert users to their browsers holding on to an old game version for whatever reason.
- Added almost all of the basic objects (bushes, rocks, flowers) to the game world.
- Some of the rocks are placeholders for trees which would be otherwise invisible.
- There are also holes in some of the bush areas where trees will appear later.
- Cave and cliff line not added yet.
- Terrain objects reworked slightly - may get changed again.
- Added level collision mesh, not that it can be seen at the moment.
- Added road.
- Implemented terrain objects (such as bushes), including special shader...
- None of these are actually placed in the map yet though.
- Increased map to four times the size. This is mostly a test to measure performance (fps reports welcome!)
- First Unity version!
- Fluffies, grass mixing and scrolling remade in Unity.
- Notably not included (yet): Movement, thought processes, terrain other than the grass (though assets are in), fires and/or sharks.
- Coming soon: Everything that was in the previous version. After that, new developments can truly begin.
- No new upload - a progress report instead.
- Cursory exploration of the Unity platform to rebuild and solve many outstanding issues (like how the heck to handle animation).
- Unity will most likely be the engine used going forward. Doing things from scratch with webGL is too platform reliant, fiddly and low-level.
- After a long stint of webgl experimentation, game-playing and non-fluffy related work, a new version emerges!
- Switched to WebGL for rendering, which allows a much richer feature set and should improve performance.
- The only immediately obvious gain is that the placeholder fluffies are now 3d. Animation is still a work in progress.
- Drawback is that it now requires an at least average graphics card (capable of shader model 2, so like, every card out there pretty much).
- The current state of the code is an amalgam of the old 2d and new webgl versions, where old had the mechanics and new had the 3d rendering. It's a mess right now and needs improvement.
- Hid the fps dropdown pending removal - it does nothing now anyway.
- More updates in the days to come - first code maintainance and cleaning, then mechanics.
- Added drifting clouds as the first part of weather.
- Added ground cover objects - the cave floor and flowers in the grass.
- Added slight vignette effect which will be used later when the light dims at night.
- Moved fps counter to DOM object from the canvas.
- Added first part of the shadow map! The cave actually looks like a cave now rather than an enclosure.
- Added second set of terrain objects (cave overlay, small rocks and plants) to the map.
- Added basic interaction support; getting where in the game world a click occurred. This will drive interaction later.
- Removed world lines from the render pass - most solid terrain is now in place. 2 large rocks near the bottom right are placeholders for tree stumps.
- Fluffies are back to being coloured blobs for now until better art is made.
- Added most of the first set of terrain objects (large rocks + bushes) to the map.
- Created very rough draft 3d model for use as a template
- It is currently a placeholder for the proper sprites (and is too large)
- Started basic fluffy speech. Test it here.
- Fixed map scrolling not working in some instances
- Added the first few terrain objects
- Added browser check/advice
- In other news, Borderlands 2 is addictive...
- Completed sprite and animation system
- Implemented basic plants
- Added code for spritesheets, drawing of sprites by angle and animation frame
- Gave world lines normals - this should greatly reduce stupid corner cases for collision
- Modified entity collision so that the days of fluffies inside the terrain are hopefully over
- Replaced photographic textures with hand-painted ones so everything will match
- Changed page colour scheme to raise perceived brightness of the scene
- Changed grassmap for new map size
- All new terrain through manual entry of 1220 coordinates for 280 lines (this took ages!)
- Added terrain line quadtree because 280*24*2 is a lot more than 27*24*2
- Scaled all positional and terrain rendering to 75% along the y axis to represent a new viewing angle
- Fluffy graphics remain unchanged... for now
- Adjusted terrain textures for new angle
- Increased map size from 1024x680 to 2048x2048
- Split loading into time chunks to prevent firefox and IE from declaring it a runaway loop
- Added loading screen to show it hasn't just died. If it takes a while, be patient!
- Scrollable map area with object culling
- Adjusted fluffy movement speed for recent tickrate change
- Finished implementing quadtrees for collision. Should be faster than brute-forcing now, and WILL be when more objects are added (rocks, critters etc)
- Fixed a map sampling bug which prevented eating entirely; no wonder it was hard to see grazing
- Reworked grass density thresholds for graphics - new weightings make more sense for visible vs value of grass
- Tweaked long grass graphics for better scaling
- Added blended textures to the grass map (this was a biggy)
- Fixed: thought priorities only sorting when turning from a wall
- Made grazing more even, slowed grass growth to compensate
- On the new textures, grazing is much harder to see - it will be more apparent when they choose where is best to eat from
- Added ability to "think" (prioritise tasks) to fluffies
- Moved movement to thoughts, added sitting and eating thoughts
- Activity now costs fluffies energy, some to exist and more to move
- Fluffies now consume grass from the vegetation map to get energy
- Collision detection between entities added, but no evasion
- Proper system for avoiding walls added. Works most of the time
- No unstuck move for wall-planted fluffies yet, but planned
- Optimisations for eating cpu cost forthcoming
- Decoupled rendering from simulation, this should improve speed
- Desired fps now settable
- Entities motion changed to use forces and velocity rather than just angle and speed
- DNA phenotypes cached to reduce calculation load
- Changelog added
- Entities are now basic fluffies
- Entities no longer bouce off walls but try to avoid them instead
- Internal entity DNA added - used to derive colours
- Grass density map with growing grass added, unused
- No inter-entity collision yet
- First demo
- Wall collision
- Basic entities move randomly